Not Just Surviving

I Samuel 17:33-37 (NLT) “Don’t be ridiculous!” Saul replied. “There’s no way you can fight this Philistine and possibly win! You’re only a boy, and he’s been a man of war since his youth.” But David persisted. “I have been taking care of my father’s sheep and goats,” he said. “When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and rescue the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. I have done this to both lions and bears, and I’ll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God! The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!” Saul finally consented. “All right, go ahead,” he said. “And may the Lord be with you!”

Over the past few months, I have dealing with family matters. My birth mother passed away four years ago. My step father just last month. My brother and I retrieved their ashes from relatives and laid them to rest a couple of weeks ago. I love my birth mom and have candidly shared that there was a separation due to addiction. Though divorced for many years, my step father remained her companion until her departure. I could bore you with all the dramatic details or even a justification for years of distance but it really doesn’t matter anymore. During this time, I have been drawn into a deep evaluation of my life which I deemed that of survival until my teenage years. The highlight reel planning in my mind like an old projector casting images on a white sheet on the walls of previous homes – I began to revisit places I didn’t really want to and process events that are long since gone. It has been a tough time. Not all of the memories are good ones. To shake myself out of the depths of darkness, I would often think I survived. My brother and I made it thanks be to God who always had His Hand upon us. However, there is more to the story that God has pressed me to share.

I think there are very few people Christian or not who haven’t heard the story of David and Goliath. Everyone loves a good story especially when good overcomes evil, right? But even though I grew up on it, I read it again with new eyes. Spiritual eyes from a loving Father who desperately wants me to see Him when I thought I was just surviving.

“When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and rescue the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. I have done this to both lions and bears, and I’ll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God!

David was a shepherd. His earthly father entrusting him with the sheep. Though the family depended on the flocks for livelihood and sustenance, his brothers mocked him for his lowly position among the sheep. David was committed to his duties. In the course of his tending, he was confronted with death defending the sheep. He had encounters with lions and bears which in turn was a fight to the end. In each case, he survived the battle killing the predator and rescuing the sheep. David survived. I survived some things that others have succumb to. You, my friend, are a survivor. Yet I have discovered just recently that I more than survived – I am victorious. Those small skirmishes that I have diminished to hide the hurt, brokenness and pain of the past are actually battle scars of preparation because God is making me a warrior.

Zechariah 4:8-10 (NLT) Then another message came to me from the Lord: “Zerubbabel is the one who laid the foundation of this Temple, and he will complete it. Then you will know that the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has sent me.Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel’s hand…”

Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin… God was training David in his ordinary life doing ordinary things just surviving to face Goliath. The purpose in David required preparation. The preparation came in the form of survival. The popular television show called “Survivor” puts contestants in the middle of nowhere with limited resources and put through a series of tests. They tribal council decides who stays or goes. The final two contestants take a long walk of remembrance before the final tribal council at the finale determines the one who “outwitted, outplayed and outlasted” the others. This is a game. There are producer, field agents and medical staff ensuring the protection of those who signed up. What makes us any different? Life is hard. We are called to endurance. Our survival comes at sum of small victories. You have been winning all along but the enemy insists it is merely surviving because you are so close to beating the giant that he has to keep you from the battle field. Do you despise the small beginnings – the place where you survived but hold unforgiveness or resentment in your heart? Perhaps, it is fear and insecurity that doesn’t want to risk it anymore. I am talking to someone if no one other than myself.

2 Corinthians 3:16-18 (NLT) But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.

God is coming back and will find a remnant church. Remnant sounds small because it is. Many will call Jesus Savior but few will receive the empowerment of making Him Lord. Those who choose true repentance who ask Him to be Savior and turn to the Lord will have a veil removed that reveals the heavenlies in full operation. Like Jacob who saw heaven coming to earth and vice versa. Suddenly, Christ is in you. Surviving is not enough for those purposed to thrive. The Spirit of the Lord takes over construction of your soul and restoration of your heart. Things are different as God makes us more and more like Him. I do not believe the purpose of God is to destroy us that is the burden of sin. His Purpose is to make us vessels of His Glory. Filling us to overflowing with all of His Love and Goodness. He gives us full armor to be battle ready. What if the sum of your life story is really a series of small victories in disguise? What if you recounted them as such giving God all the glory? What might happen? Giants would fall.

I John 5:4-5 (NLT) For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

The walk down memory lane was not a field of flowers but walking through valleys, shadows and darkness again. Regret, shame, pain, and the past on vivid display but then a light came on thanks to the Word of God and His Spirit. I was there. I was with you. You made it because I was there. I never left. I never forsook you. I have a plan for you. You needed small victories to win the war. You needed faith. You needed hope. You needed desperation to find me. You did. You didn’t survive. You are thriving and headed to meet Goliath because now you have what it takes. I live in you. You have defeated and overcome the evil of the past. You are walking to your purpose. You will win! Why? “Despite all these things, overwhelming victory is yours through Christ, who loves you.” (Paraphrased just for me.) Through the brokenness of a difficult childhood, God carved a place for His Son in my heart. Once Jesus filled it – faith had a place to grow. Faith took hold of hope with both hands and will not let go. I won! I made it! To God be the glory. If you are reading this – you more than survived. You made it. You are a winner of small victories who will one day win the war.

David did not have the heart of a survivor but a victor. He didn’t cower from the giant but ran to him. We can do the same. It is in us. Jesus lives in you and I as believers. Do you believe? You didn’t barely make it in surviving it was a victory. Don’t let the enemy make you feel small because of the details. Do not let him tell you that you will never be enough just making it through life thankful for what you have because it is more than you deserve. Need I remind you that Christ considered you worth dying for? At the end of self, you will always find the Lord if He is the One you are looking for. He is loving! He is kind. He is the healer of all things broken Who will fill you with His Power in every weakness. He is faithful. You have victory in Christ that begins in surviving. Don’t stay in the wilderness today. Walk boldly to the battlefield. God is with you! You will not fail! Confidence is born in every small victory in life. Don’t discredit survival as less than a win! We are living glory to glory and victory and victory just because Christ lives!

Romans 8:37-39 (NLT)  No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Taun17

Haus Persaingan

Haus Persaingan Cerita ini berisi tema atau penyebutan kekerasan fisik, gore, atau pelecehan. Saya telah menatap layar selama berjam-jam. ...